Commuting is gradually becoming part of daily life as working from the office is resuming as the new norm in many offices. As a person who seeks health, combining commuting with a little touch of biking before taking the MRT or LRT should be nice. There are many types of bikes but one of the considerations should fall on the folding bike as it offers the simplicity of usage and flexibility in storage. On the deeper level, 8 things to consider on purchasing your first folding bike are:
1. Riding Style
Folding bikes come in various styles, each designed for a specific type of riding. For example, if you plan to use your folding bike for commuting or city riding, you’ll want to look for a bike that offers good manoeuvrability and agility. On the other hand, if you’re planning to use your bike for longer rides or touring, you’ll want to look for a folding bike that offers stability and comfort for longer periods of time.
2. Bike Size
When purchasing a folding bike, considering its size is crucial for a safe and comfortable riding experience. If the bike is too small or too large, it can lead to discomfort, injury, and might affect your balance and control. Riding a folding bike that fits you well will provide you with better control, comfort, and safety, allowing you to enjoy your rides more. Seeking advice from a professional or consulting a sizing guide can help you choose the right folding bike size for your body.
Read More: Bike Size Guide Based on your Heights
3. Folding Mechanism
When choosing a folding bike, the type of folding mechanism used is crucial in determining the ease of use, convenience, and portability of the bike. Common folding mechanisms include the classic fold, triangular hinge, breakaway or disassembly, and vertical fold. Each mechanism has its benefits and drawbacks, such as the classic fold being simple but not the most compact, while the vertical fold saves space but may not be the most stable. Evaluating the folding mechanism is essential in selecting the right type of folding bike to meet your needs and provide a seamless and convenient riding experience.
Weight is also an important factor to consider as it affects the overall portability and ease of use. This is especially important for those living in cities, such as Kuala Lumpur or Johor Bahru, where commuting by public transportation or biking is more common. There are generally three weight groups for folding bikes:
- Ultralight: These bikes weigh around 6-10kg, making them easy to carry and manoeuvre. They’re ideal for those who need to carry their bikes upstairs or on public transportation.
- Lightweight: These bikes weigh between 11-15 kg and are a good balance between portability and stability. They’re suitable for longer rides and can handle more varied terrain than lightweight bikes.
- Normal-weight: These bikes weigh over 15kg and are the most stable and durable of the three groups. They’re ideal for those who prioritize comfort and performance over portability and are best for longer, more demanding rides.
When buying a folding bike, durability is crucial for long-term usage, especially for frequent or long rides. Durable bikes can withstand wear and tear, various weather conditions, and have a longer lifespan, making them a practical investment. high-quality materials like aluminum or carbon fiber can enhance durability by providing strength and resistance to damage. Checking the bike’s weight limit is also essential since exceeding it can affect its durability and performance. Prioritizing durability when choosing a folding bike can ensure its longevity, saving money and ensuring an enjoyable riding experience.
To know if a folding bike has quality components, research the brand and check the specifications of the bike you’re considering. Look for trusted brands that offer warranties, and read reviews from other users to see their experiences with the bike. It’s also important to physically inspect the bike to ensure that the components are well-made and properly installed. Taking the time to
research and check the components of the folding bike you’re interested in can help you make an informed decision and ensure that you’re getting a quality bike that will last.
A folding bike needs proper maintenance for optimal performance and longevity, just like any other type of bike. Neglecting maintenance can cause wear and tear and expensive repairs. Tasks such as cleaning, lubricating, adjusting brakes and gears, and checking for damage or wear should be done regularly. Following the manufacturer’s recommended maintenance schedule and seeking professional service when needed is crucial. Regular maintenance helps to ensure that your folding bike is always in top condition and ready for your next ride.
It’s important to consider your needs and how frequently you’ll be using the bike when determining which price range fits the budget allocation. Here are the three ranges of folding bike prices, along with some differences between them:
- Budget Range: These folding bikes typically cost below RM1000. They are a good choice for those who are just starting out with folding bikes and don’t want to invest too much money. However, they may have lower-quality components and may not be as durable as more expensive models.
- Mid-Range: These folding bikes usually cost between RM1000 to RM3000. They offer better quality components and more advanced features than budget models. They are a good choice for those who want a higher-quality folding bike but don’t want to spend too much money.
- High-End Range: These folding bikes usually cost over RM3000. They are the best choice for serious riders who demand the highest quality and performance from their folding bike. They are built with the highest quality materials and components and are designed to last for many years. They often come with advanced features such as lightweight frames, suspension systems, and high-end gears. However, they are the most expensive option and may not be suitable for those on a tight budget.
Read Deeper: Tern Verge D9: The Ultimate Road-Friendly Folding Bike
Folding bikes offer an ideal solution for daily use or commuters who want to bike before taking the LRT or MRT, thanks to their simplicity and storage flexibility. When buying one, key considerations include the bike’s size, weight, folding mechanism, components, durability, maintenance requirements, and price. These factors influence the bike’s portability, longevity, and overall performance. By selecting a folding bike that fits your needs, you can ensure a seamless and convenient riding experience, whether for daily commutes or longer rides.
Rodalink Malaysia offers various payment methods with a 0% installment plan so you can get the best folding bike that fits your profile and needs seamlessly. Check our current promotion to get the best deals including the free delivery option to your door and up to 40% additional discount.